I have been the Senior Director of Digital Editorial Operations for Rodale since June 2016, working to help the company’s high-profile brands—Men’s Health, Women’s Health, Prevention, Bicycling, and Runner’s World—connect with and empower audiences across the world.
Before that, I was Senior Managing Editor of MensHealth.com since December 2007, after serving as Director of Site Operations for Philly.com, the online home of the Philadelphia Inquirer and Philadelphia Daily News.
Over that time, I’ve learned a lot about journalism—both news and service—and the digital world, including a bunch of acronyms: SEO, ROI, P&L, DFP, CMS, Aff-Comm, E-Comm, etc. More than that, I’ve learned from paying careful attention, sticking with it, and making guesses, good and bad, what it takes to have a fair shot at accomplishing what you’re aiming for in this world. (If you’re interested, here’s my LinkedIn profile. If you’re looking for references, I’m partial to the Facebook comments here when I shared news that I wouldn’t have a role with Hearst. )
I served for three years as an adjunct professor at Syracuse University’s S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications, where I taught two 500-level classes: “Writing and Editing for Magazine Web Sites” and “Sports Writing for Multiple Platforms.” I would do it again, though I would insist on not teaching remotely the next time.
I live outside Philadelphia with my wife Virginia. That’s her and my two sons above.
I’ve kept a modest blog over the years. It’s all collected here.
Here are some things I have written for publications over the years:
- Two the Hard Way (Asbury Park Press, 1990)
- Lance Armstrong’s Incredible Comeback (Philadelphia Daily News, 1998)
- Why You Could Be Days Away From a Heart Attack and Not Even Know It (Men’s Health)
- Interview With Jason Isbell About Dads and Sons (Men’s Health)
- Should You Buy Your Next Mattress On the Internet? (Men’s Health)
- Why You Should Give Up Drinking For 30 Days (Men’s Health)
- Why the NFL Should Buy the MLS Right Now (Men’s Health)
- What Makes a Hero? (Men’s Health)
- We Should Move the Super Bowl to Saturday (Tonic)